Thursday, July 9, 2015

Teaching the Teacher

In the 10 years I've been parenting, I must say I've said some crazy things. I've given some wild advice-all I believe to be pertinent in growing up. As a single mother,  I feel it's my job to ensure my boys be good men. Don't get me wrong, I can't possible take the place of their dad,  nor would I want to. I can however,  teach them the things I wish he had done. This is not the point of my exert today, so I will save that for another post.

While watching my children,  I find it necessary to create a new completely off the wall rule every day. Like "don't throw mud at the neighbors dog. " Or "always wash your feet before standing on the counter. " I know how this sounds, but I promise there has been a time when I have come in to little foot prints of dirt on the counter,  and the neighbors dog does not enjoy the angry German, for the mere fact that he got hit with a mud pie. I've had to explain why eating on the toilet isn't a grand idea. Listening to myself shout across the room not to chew the window sill or lick the door was a bit disturbing. Where do they come up with this stuff?  Then I look back in my childhood and remember microwaving frogs just to see the result. Thankfully my tiny humans aren't that sadistic!

Kids will keep you on your toes,  that's for sure,  but I've come to believe curiosity is a wonderful thing. They say it killed the cat,  but only 1 of those 9 lives,  in my opinion was attributed to curiosity. The imagination needs stimulation,  and these creatures need the ability to explore the world. I grew up in the south, and I'm so thankful for nights when we'd catch fireflies and watch the stars twinkle. We built a fort on the side of a hill one summer out of nothing but dirt. That was the coolest place on earth to us. I can only hope my children have memories just like those to share when they've grown up.

So for now, I look forward to each day that we learn one more crazy lesson in life like "why not to eat goldfish crackers in the pool."  I cherish every day with these tiny humans,  because I know their youth is fleeting. Sooner than I care to admit,  they will be driving me around and spending more time with their friends than their family. Soon enough they will know the hardships of adult life. For now,  I will relive my youth through them and help them create the memories of puddle jumping and mud fights,  chasing down frogs and playing house,  because someday "house" won't be a game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment